Ask a Vet Archive

When it comes to your pet's health, there's no such thing as a dumb question. Search questions real clients have submitted to our popular Ask a Vet Q&A series, and then submit a question of your own.

  • I have a year-old, fifty-pound dog who consumed a chocolate cupcake and has been very hyperactive since he ate it - about 30 minutes ago. He is a very active dog, but I am concerned that his hyperactivity tonight is due to the chocolate. Should I be concerned?

    Hyperactivity can be a sign of chocolate toxicity. If your pet is still showing signs of hyperactivity or any behavior changes, he needs to be seen by his veterinarian immediately. Chocolate toxicity can be life threatening if not treated.

    Anytime your dog eats something that may be toxic, including chocolate, it is something that needs to be addressed immediately. With most cases the sooner that they are seen after the ingestion, the better. If we can stop the toxins from being absorbed it can minimize the problems that may occur.


Need more information or advice?

Contact your nearest Banfield Pet Hospital to schedule an appointment today.

Tags

Behavior