• I'm in a northern climate, I've read calcium chloride and calcium magnesium acetate (CMA) are safer alternatives to sodium chloride ("road salt") for plants/grass when considering de-icing sidewalks. Are any of these a safer choice for dogs--on their paws or if ingested?

    Hi Jeremy,
    I recommend that you talk to your local veterinarian about this question. There are potential concerns with all of these de-icers as they can cause skin irritation or toxicity if they are ingested. Your vet knows your pet and the local area so they will be able to give you the best advice on which one will be best for your situation. With any de-icer it is important to keep your pet from ingesting it and it is best to rinse of their paws when they come inside after contact with the chemical.


Need more information or advice?

Contact your nearest Banfield Pet Hospital to schedule an appointment today.

Tags

Pet Safety Tips

Ask a Vet Archive

When it comes to your pet's health, there's no such thing as a dumb question. Search questions real clients have submitted to our popular Ask a Vet Q&A series, and then submit a question of your own.