• How do I know if the wick candles or plug in fresheners are or are not toxic for my dog? I am afraid of using my plug in fresheners and lighting up candles in my house because I do not want my dog to have an allergic reaction, seizure, or health problems of any kind. Thank you very much and I look forward to your response.

    Hi Teresa,
    I recommend that you talk to your local veterinarian about this question. Most of the candles and air fresheners are okay for dogs unless they are eaten or in the case of candles, burnt. The biggest concern would be that some essential oil diffusers can lead to respiratory issues. However, all of this can depend on your individual pet. Some pets can be very sensitive to these products. Your vet knows your pet’s medical history so they will be able to give you the best advice that is specific to your pet.


Need more information or advice?

Contact your nearest Banfield Pet Hospital to schedule an appointment today.

Tags

Other Concerns

Ask a Vet Archive

When it comes to your pet's health, there's no such thing as a dumb question. Search questions real clients have submitted to our popular Ask a Vet Q&A series, and then submit a question of your own.