Grapes and Raisins Can be Toxic to your Pets

Grapes and Raisins Can be Toxic to your Pets

Pet owners get in the bad habit of giving their pet’s human food as treats. This can turn into a big problem, because some common foods can be poisonous for dogs and cats. For instance, grapes and raisins are delicious and healthy snacks for humans, but can be potential health threats for your pets. Owners should avoid giving any pets grapes or raisins and be on the lookout for signs of toxicity if a pet ever eats these fruits.

Signs of toxicity

Vomiting is usually seen within 12 hours of ingestion. Other signs that may occur within 24 hours include:

  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Lack of appetite
  • Decreased urination
  • Weakness
  • Abdominal pain
  • Possibly death


Kidney Disease Caused by Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and raisins are delicious and healthy snacks for humans, but can be potential health threats for your pets. Eating grapes and/or raisins can cause the sudden development of kidney failure in some pets - particularly dogs - but also in cats and ferrets, too. Not every pet that eats grapes or raisins will show signs of kidney failure, but to be on the safe side, don’t offer grapes or raisins as treats and keep them out of your pet’s reach. 

Pets that have underlying kidney disease may be more susceptible to grape or raisin toxicity. We don’t know why these foods cause renal failure in some pets and not in others, and the overall cause of the kidney damage is not known. How your pet is affected depends on the amount of grapes and raisins that have been eaten. In addition, raisins are more concentrated than grapes, so it may take fewer raisins to cause illness.

Treatment for Grape and Raisin Toxcity

Early treatment is important especially if caught before signs are present. If your pet is examined within a few hours after the grapes or raisins have been ingested, your veterinarian can induce vomiting and give your pet activated charcoal to absorb the remaining toxins in the gastrointestinal system.

If further treatment is needed, your doctor may provide intravenous fluids and supportive care that can help make your pet comfortable. Keep in mind that treatment can be expensive and may require your pet to stay multiple days in the hospital.

Learn More

If your pet has eaten grapes or raisins, you should contact your Banfield veterinarian and get medical attention immediately.

Read more about your pet’s health and dietary needs in the Nutrition section of Banfield.com, including these articles below: