Last Updated July 31, 2015
Privacy Statement Overview and Summary
What does this privacy statement apply to?
Medical Management International, Inc., doing business as Banfield Pet Hospital® (hereafter referred to as "we", "us", "our" or "Banfield") respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it through our compliance with this privacy statement ("Privacy Statement").
This Privacy Statement describes the types of information we may collect from you or about you or that you may provide when you download, register with, access, or use the Banfield mobile application or other product that displays a link to this Privacy Statement (hereafter referred to as an "app" or the "apps"). This Privacy Statement does not apply to Banfield websites, other mobile applications and other services and products that do not display or include a link to this Privacy Statement or that have their own privacy statement, or to information collected by or provided to third parties. This Privacy Statement applies to your "personal information," which is any information or combination of information that could reasonably be used to identify you, and any other information collected from or about you.
Please read this Privacy Statement carefully to understand our policies and practices regarding your information and how we will treat it. If you do not agree with our policies and practices, your choice is not to download, register with, access, or use our app. By downloading, accessing, registering with or using this app, you agree to this Privacy Statement. This Privacy Statement may change from time to time. Your continued use of this app after we make changes is deemed to be acceptance of those changes, so please check the Privacy Statement periodically for updates.
What information do we collect and how do we collect it?
We may collect various kinds of information that you provide to us, including personal contact details. The information that we collect from you may include:
- Personal contact details include information such as names, addresses, telephone numbers, or e-mail addresses, such as when you provide them to us during registration; and our app allows you to establish a user name and password to set up an account to access the app.
- Transaction-related information includes data regarding appointment requests, or other transactions you make on our app.
As a Banfield client, when you register for, and sign-in to your My Banfield online client account using your My Banfield ID, your registration information is shared with your Banfield Hospital(s) in order to authenticate your identity and provide you with the My Banfield online client account features, such as access to your pet's vaccination records. In addition, we may collect information from other sources, including contact lists, and demographic information from third parties and other commercial sources. This data may be combined with other information that we collect.
We also collect certain types of information automatically:
- Your Internet Protocol (IP) address or unique mobile device identifier, your device’s operating system, browser type, mobile network information, websites visited before or after you use our app, searches, pages viewed and activities on our app, as well as your interaction with advertisements.
- Social network profile information.
- Your location, including by GPS and by proximity to wifi beacons.
- Third-party service providers and advertising partners may also collect information automatically.
- Find out more about our automatic collection practices in the section below called What are Analytics and how do we use them?
Third-party Information Collection
When you use the app or its content, certain third parties, including, but not limited to, Facebook, may use automatic information collection technologies to collect information about you or your device. These third parties include:
- Analytics companies.
- Your mobile device manufacturer.
- Your mobile service provider.
These third parties may use tracking technologies to collect information about you when you use this app. The information they collect may be associated with your personal information or they may collect information, including personal information and demographic information, about your online activities over time and across different websites, apps and other online services websites.
We do not control these third parties' tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you do not consent to these third parties' activities on the app, your option is to not download, register with, access, or use the Banfield app.
What are Analytics and how do we use them?
Visitors to our app use different operating systems and mobile devices. To make your visits as easy as possible with the technology you use, we use Analytics Tools such as Adobe Analytics and Google Analytics that automatically keep track of information like the operating system (e.g., iOS, Android) you use, your IP address, domain name of your Internet service provider, apps used before and after this app, resources used, pages viewed and activities on our app, and advertisements seen or clicked on. We also track the total number of users of our app in an aggregate form to allow us to update and improve them.
The information we collect automatically typically does not include personal information (as defined above), but we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. The automatic collection of data helps us to improve our app and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our app according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our app.
How do we use your information?
We may use your information for a variety of purposes, including: to provide products or services that you request; to provide the mobile app and its contents and services; to administer promotions; to communicate with you; to deliver advertising; to improve our app, products and services; and for other legitimate business purposes.
- Providing the features, products and services you request: We may use the information we collect about you to fulfill your requests for, and enable your use of, our features, products and services, including features such as personalized online client accounts, appointment setting, and hospital location recommendations.
- Registration, contests and promotions: We may use your information to enter you in contests, to notify you of results and to register you for certain features, products and services.
- To communicate with you and provide you with information: We may use your information to communicate with you, to respond to your questions or comments, to notify you when this app has been updated, and to provide you with updates and news. We also may use your information to provide you with personalized content and information and to send you brochures, coupons, samples, offers and other information on our products or our family of companies. We ask visitors providing e-mail addresses to indicate if they would like further information or updates from us or our website and only those who request it will receive these types of communications from us. Note that, regardless of your choices or stated preferences, you may still receive communications from us that facilitate, complete or confirm a commercial transaction that you have already agreed to enter into with us ("transactional communications"), such as communications about your pet's health and appointment reminders, the completion of your registration, correction of user data, password reset requests, confirmation of transactions, shipping notices, and other similar communications essential to your transactions with us.
- We use location information that we collect about you to suggest nearby Banfield hospital locations.
How do we share and disclose your information?
We may share or disclose your information:
- With our subsidiaries, affiliates, and business partners.
- With vendors or agents. For example, we may share your information with companies we have hired to provide services for us or on our behalf. When we share information with these other companies to provide services for us, they are not allowed to use any information that can personally identify you for any other purpose and must keep such information confidential unless you otherwise consent.
- Where your information may be transferred along with other business assets. For example: to a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of Banfield's assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by Banfield about our app users is among the assets transferred.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it.
- To third parties for their marketing purposes.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- At your direction or request or with your consent.
We may also share or disclose personal information, including the content of your communications:
- To comply with the law or respond to legal process or lawful requests, including from law enforcement and government agencies.
- To conduct investigations of consumer complaints or possible illegal activity, to protect the integrity of Banfield’s apps, to fulfill your requests or to cooperate in any legal investigation.
- To protect the rights or property of Banfield, Banfield's affiliates, agents or our customers, including enforcing the terms governing your use of our apps and services (for example, for billing and collections purposes).
- To act on a good faith belief that access or disclosure is necessary to protect the safety of Banfield’s associates, customers or the public (for example, exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purpose of fraud protection and credit risk reduction).
What choices do you have?
- If you do not consent to the uses and disclosures of your information described above, your option is not to download, register with, access, or use the Banfield mobile application.
- What if you don't want Promotional Offers from us? Whether or not you have previously opted in, if you no longer wish to have your personal contact information used by us to promote our own or third parties' products or services, send us an e-mail stating your request to Privacy@banfield.com or write to Attn: Banfield Promotional Opt-Out, PO Box 13998, Portland, OR 97213. If we have sent you a promotional e-mail, you may also follow the unsubscribe process at the bottom of the e-mail to opt out of receiving additional promotional e-mails from us. In some instances, we may request your consent in advance of sending you promotional emails, and by declining to provide consent, you will not receive certain emails from us. Note that any opt-out request you make or your decision not to provide consent to receive certain emails will not apply to transactional communications (as defined above) from us that you may receive.
- What if you do not wish us to share your personal information with other third parties? If we engage in the practice of sharing your personal information with third parties for their own marketing purposes, before we do so, we will first ask you to agree to such sharing (either through an opt-in or opt-out method). If you do not agree, we will not engage in this type of sharing of your personal information. If you agree, but later decide you do not want us to continue to share your personal information this way, contact us at Privacy@banfield.com with your request.
- What if you do not wish to share your location information? You can choose whether or not to allow the app to collect and use real-time information about your device's location through the device's privacy settings. If you block the use of location information, some parts of the app may then be inaccessible or not function properly.
What about children's privacy?
In accordance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act ("COPPA"), Banfield does not knowingly collect or store personal information about children under age 13. We may ask visitors to enter a birth date to restrict those who are underage from accessing certain sites, areas, or features. If we become aware of a user under the age of 13 providing information on our app without parental permission, we will terminate that account and purge our databases of all personal information provided by that user to the extent feasible. For more information about our compliance with COPPA, or to notify us if you believe that we have received personal information from a user under the age of 13, please contact us at Banfield.WebSupport@Banfield.com
What else do you need to know?
Where is your information stored and processed?
Personal information collected on our apps and services may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country where Banfield or its affiliates, subsidiaries or service providers maintain facilities.
The servers and databases in which information may be stored may be located outside the country from which you accessed this app and in a country that does not have the same privacy laws as your country of residence. The personal information you provide us may be transmitted abroad, but we will collect, process and use personal information only in accordance with this Privacy Statement. Employment-related queries may also be transferred to Banfield, or its affiliate family of companies. By downloading and using this app and submitting information, you consent to such collection, processing, transfer and/or storage of your personal information.
How do we safeguard your information?
We have implemented administrative, physical and technical safeguards designed to protect your information. If online shopping is permitted on the app, we use encryption technology to communicate with the app when you order from us online and provide us with payment card or related information. Otherwise, the transmission of information to and from us is not encrypted or secure.
We have instituted safeguards to check that our internal procedures meet our high policy standards. We also use our best efforts to be sure that third parties who are hired to develop and maintain this app and to fulfill your orders and requests, agree to protect all personal information they must access in order to serve our app and our visitors, and honor your preferences about contacts you receive.
No security measures can be 100% secure, however, and so we recommend that you take additional measures to protect yourself and your information, including by installing up to date anti-virus software, closing the app after use, keeping confidential your log-in credentials and passwords, and making sure that you regularly update operating systems, software, and apps you have downloaded to ensure you have enabled the latest security features on your devices.
Mobile and Website Privacy Policies.
for more information.
What are your California Privacy Rights?
California law permits residents of California to opt-out of Banfield’s disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. You may choose to opt-out of the sharing of your personal information with third parties for marketing purposes at any time by submitting a request in writing to PO Box 13998, Portland, OR 97213 or by e-mailing us at Privacy@banfield.com
. Please note that this opt-out does not prohibit disclosure made for non-marketing purposes. California law also permits residents of California to request and obtain from us once per year, free of charge, a list of the third parties (if any) to whom we have disclosed personal information for their direct marketing purposes in the prior calendar year, as well as the type of personal information disclosed to those parties. If you are a California resident and would like to request this information, please submit your request in an e-mail to: Privacy@banfield.com
or by writing to PO Box 13998, Portland, OR 97213. Requests via telephone or facsimile will not be accepted. The e-mail subject line or mailing envelope and the content of your request must include the phrase "Your California Privacy Rights," and include your name, e-mail address (if you wish to receive a response via e-mail) or street address, city, state, zip code (if you wish to receive a response via postal mail).
Changes to this Privacy Statement.
We may update this Privacy Statement from time to time, so please visit this page periodically and review this statement for changes. We will notify you of material changes to this Privacy Statement by posting a notice on our home page for a reasonable period of time and changing the "Updated" date above. Your continued use of our apps following the posting of changes will mean that you accept the changed terms.
What should you do if you have questions, wish to access, update or delete information, or wish to opt-out of receiving future communications?
If you would like us to access, update, change, or delete information we have about you in our marketing database (subject to any applicable legal exceptions), would like to opt-out of receiving further communications from us, or have questions about our Privacy Statement, please click here
How can you contact us?
Banfield Privacy Team
PO Box 13998
Portland, OR 97213