• My 7lb. Dog gobbled up a 75 mg Rimadyl pill when my 80 pound dog spit it out. Do I need to take her to emergency?

    Hi Lori,
    If you have not already taken your pet into see a veterinarian, I recommend that you do so as soon as possible. This is a very large dose for your small dog and it could potentially lead to toxicity. The biggest concerns would be that it could cause kidney disease or a GI ulcer. These may not be immediately noticed but they can become very serious issues. Your vet can screen her for these diseases with some lab tests. If any toxicity is seen your vet can recommend the treatment that will be best for her.


Need more information or advice?

Contact your nearest Banfield Pet Hospital to schedule an appointment today.

Tags

Medications

Ask a Vet Archive

When it comes to your pet's health, there's no such thing as a dumb question. Search questions real clients have submitted to our popular Ask a Vet Q&A series, and then submit a question of your own.