• How long should I monitor a dog that ate chocolate on Saturday night (vomited within an hour or 2 from ingestion) and has been acting normal and eating since? We found out Monday AM that it was chocolate that cause her to get sick.

    Hi Stephanie,
    In most cases, chocolate toxicity occurs within 12 hours. So if you pet is acting normal now they should be okay. However, every dog is different and if you see any signs like vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, restlessness, twitching, or seizures you should take her into see a veterinarian immediately.


Need more information or advice?

Contact your nearest Banfield Pet Hospital to schedule an appointment today.

Tags

Other Concerns

Ask a Vet Archive

When it comes to your pet's health, there's no such thing as a dumb question. Search questions real clients have submitted to our popular Ask a Vet Q&A series, and then submit a question of your own.