Let’s Review: Summer barbecuing and your pets’ safety

As the dog days of summer are upon us, out come the grills and smokers. While barbecuing can be a fun family experience, it’s important to protect your pets during this type of activity. 

Watch the video below for tips on making sure your pets are safe and happy while enjoying family fun in the backyard this summer.

 

Health Issues from Feeding Pets foods from the Grill

 

Ribs or other meats with bones

  • Can lead to injury of the mouth or throat. The bones can also cause damage to the intestinal system or result in an intestinal blockage, which in turn, can lead to surgery to correct the issue. In some cases, it can even be fatal.


Hot dogs and hamburgers

  • Can lead to obesity in pets. One beef hot dog, for example, can account for 13 percent of the recommended daily caloric intake for a 50 pound dog. Dogs may love these treats, but obesity can increase their risk for certain diseases like diabetes and can also worsen arthritis.
  • Hot dogs and hamburgers can also cause intestinal upset in pets. This can lead to severe vomiting and diarrhea as well as pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), causing severe disease and even death.
  • If any of your picnic foods are undercooked or raw, this poses a risk of Salmonella or E. coli infection to dogs and people.


Grill Safety

  • The grill and its odors can be irresistible to pets. If pets get too close to the grill, they can be burned or knock the grill over, which can lead to a fire.
  • In addition, it is important to use a drip pan for your grill or smoker. If the meat juices can reach the ground, pets may lick or eat the drippings and this can lead to burns or injuries to the mouth. Vomiting, diarrhea and pancreatitis can follow. Pets will most likely eat anything that is covered with the drippings, including rocks or sticks, which can also cause intestinal injury or an obstruction.
Remember, the remains from your barbecue are not only tempting but can be irresistible to your pets. Make sure that any garbage is safely packed away where your pets can’t get to it. Eating garbage can lead to severe vomiting, diarrhea, pancreatitis, injury or intestinal obstruction.

Your local Banfield veterinarian is prepared to help you with all your pet health needs. Keep phone numbers handy so if an emergency comes up, you’ll be ready.

More Summer Resources