Veterinary Student Job Program
The Student Job Program is designed for veterinary students who want to experience real-world learning in a clinical setting. For 80 percent of the time, you'll work with an experienced veterinary assistant team in one of Banfield's full-service hospitals. Here, you are provided the tools needed to gain confidence in your technical abilities, while developing interpersonal communication skills. The remaining 20 percent of your time is dedicated to pursuing personalized learning objectives alongside your mentor doctor.
A mentor doctor is assigned to each participant. Together, you will collaborate to determine learning objectives based on your individual educational goals. Feedback and guidance are provided to students throughout the summer.
What to Expect
Under the supervision of your mentor doctor and in accordance with the state's practice act, you will work as a veterinary assistant in a supportive team environment.
- Learn how to perform a physical exam
- Provide proper veterinary care
- Use diagnostic tools and interpret diagnostic materials effectively
- Learn surgical preparation and monitoring
- Grow your professional interpersonal skills through communication training
To participate in the Student Job Program, you must be a first- through third-year veterinary student enrolled in an accredited doctor of veterinary medicine program; authorized to work in the United States; available for a 6- to 10-week period during your summer break and committed to a flexible schedule of 32 to 40 hours per week, including evenings and weekends. Preference is given to students studying Companion Animal Medicine.
If you want to experience a personalized learning program with a mentor doctor, be introduced to practice management, develop technical and client communication skills and enjoy a competitive hourly wage, the Student Job Program may be the next best step in your veterinary education.
A list of host hospitals will be available in December, and then applications will be available and accepted in January 2016. For consideration, be sure to submit the application prior to the deadline.
Student Ambassador Program
Banfield's Student Ambassador Program employs veterinary students enrolled in American Veterinary Medical Association-accredited Colleges of Veterinary Medicine to connect their fellow classmates with experiential learning opportunities in Banfield hospitals and act as liaisons between Banfield and their campus.
Major job duties:
- Act as liaison between Banfield and your classmates, professors and deans
- Partner with your Medical Director liaison to plan campus outreach activities
- Execute campus outreach events (schedule rooms, advertise event, manage catering, etc.)
- Make information about Banfield available to your classmates
- Provide referrals of classmates interested in future careers with Banfield