Banfield supports our associates having time with their family and friends during the holidays. For this reason, our hospitals will close at 4 pm on Wednesday, Nov. 25 and all day on Thanksgiving, Nov. 26. We hope you and your pet have a happy and safe holiday!
Tips for Keeping Your Pet and Home Flea-Free
The best way to fight fleas is to prevent them. Watch the video below to learn some simple tips for keeping these pesky parasites out of your home and away from your pet.
- Start with monthly flea treatment. These will help to keep your pet free of fleas and itch.
- Ask your local veterinarian for more information about flea prevention methods to ensure that your pet is being treated with the most appropriate prevention.
- Follow label directions and veterinary advice for dosing intervals to make sure you're giving your pet the right amount at the right times.
- Ask your veterinarian about additional flea control measures for your home or yard.
Cleaning your home is a part of treating for fleas
- Wash all your pet’s bedding in hot soapy water.
- Clean all surfaces where your pets spend time.
- Vacuum carpets, rugs and sofa cushions thoroughly and often, including all corners and crevices.
- Dispose of the vacuum cleaner bag after each cleaning session in an outside trash can.
- Several indoor pesticides are available that can also help eliminate fleas in your home. Be sure to carefully read and follow the information on these pesticides to ensure all of your family is safe when using a chemical of any kind. Consider a pest control service for severe infestations.
As always, if you have any questions or concerns about the health of your pet, please contact your veterinary medical team.